With the 2023-24 regular season less than 24 hours away, the Portland Trail Blazers made one final move to complete their official opening-night roster, replacing one center on a two-way deal with another.
Blazers re-sign Duop Reath to two-way contract, release Ibou Badji
Maybe it was a blatant error or maybe it was the plan all along, but only two days after waiving center Duop Reath, general manager Joe Cronin and the Portland front office brought Reath back on a two-way contract. Ibou Badji was released from his two-way deal to complete the move.
Reath had a strong summer league and preseason for the Trail Blazers. He averaged 13.0 points and 7.4 rebounds in Las Vegas and 7.8 points to go along with 4.3 rebounds in 16.8 minutes per game across Portland’s four preseason contests.
Reath should play plenty of minutes for the organization’s new G League team, the Rip City Remix, while getting a taste of the NBA as – at least for now – the Blazers’ fourth center behind Deandre Ayton, Robert Williams III and Moses Brown.
Portland Trail Blazers complete 2023-24 opening-night regular season roster
Waiving Badji and signing Reath will be the team’s final offseason move as it heads into an Oct. 25 road matchup against the LA Clippers to begin the post-Damian Lillard era.
The Blazers opening-night regular season roster, per Sean Highkin of The Rose Garden Report, is as follows:
- #00 Scoot Henderson (G, G League Ignite)
- #1 Anfernee Simons (G, IMG Academy)
- #2 Deandre Ayton (C, Arizona)
- #4 Matisse Thybulle (G/F, Washington)
- #5 Skylar Mays (G, LSU) (two-way)
- #8 Kris Murray (F, Iowa)
- #9 Jerami Grant (F, Syracuse)
- #10 Moses Brown (C, UCLA)
- #17 Shaedon Sharpe (G, Kentucky)
- #23 Ish Wainright (F, Baylor)
- #24 Justin Minaya (F, Providence) (two-way)
- #26 Duop Reath (C, Australia) (two-way)
- #33 Toumani Camara (F, Dayton)
- #34 Jabari Walker (F, Colorado)
- #35 Robert Williams III (C, Texas A&M)
- #72 Rayan Rupert (F, France/New Zealand Breakers)
- #92 Malcolm Brogdon (G, Virginia)