Damian Lillard hasn't played a single game this season as he continues to rehab from a torn Achilles. That didn't stop him from not only competing in the 3-Point Contest at All-Star Weekend but also taking home the trophy.
He's now won three contests, tying Larry Bird and Craig Hodges for the most all-time. Unsurprisingly, Dame has his sights set on the record, all but confirming an appearance in next year's event.
"I'm gonna do it again next year... Got to," Lillard told former Milwaukee Bucks teammate Giannis Antetokounmpo after the contest.
"I'm gonna do it again next year."
— NBA (@NBA) February 14, 2026
"Confirmed?"
"Got to."
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST from @Dame_Lillard 🚨🚨🚨 pic.twitter.com/ACFNUKh0QU
Damian Lillard looks to add better competition for next year's 3-Point Contest
Lillard beat out Charlotte Hornets rookie Kon Knueppel and Phoenix Suns star Devin Booker in the final round. Afterwards, Lillard said he "was praying on [Booker's] downfall." Booker came up just short after missing the final three shots, giving Lillard a narrow two-point win.
Knueppel and Booker were formidable competition for Lillard, but some were questionable (looking at you, Bobby Portis). That's expected to change next season, as Lillard is assembling the NBA equivalent of The Avengers when it comes to shooting.
Lillard recently shared his Instagram DM with Stephen Curry, where the two discussed who could be in it for next season. So far, it sounds like Lillard, Curry, Klay Thompson, and Booker, who will look to avenge his loss on his home court with the All-Star Game held in Phoenix.
Damian Lillard shared his Instagram DM with Stephen Curry about competing in the Three-Point Contest in 2027 in Phoenix 👀📲
— Courtside Buzz (@CourtsideBuzzX) February 16, 2026
Dame: ““Me, you, Klay, Book, and 4 more real shooters.”
Curry: “Yessir I’m in. Know Klay will do it if I ask and book will be at home. Perfect setup.”… pic.twitter.com/HoIEwF0n2j
It remains to be seen who the remaining "4 more real shooters would be." Knueppel is already taking the league by storm and would be a strong choice if he wants to run it back. Someone we wanted to see at this year's event, who apparently wasn't asked, was New Orleans Pelicans rising star Trey Murphy III, so that could be an option next season.
With Lillard set to take on two of the best shooters ever to do it in the Splash Brothers, this already has the makings of one of the best contests in recent memory. That should hopefully make up for a Dunk Contest that seems to get worse every season.
Lillard will have his work cut out for him to make NBA history with a fourth 3-Point Contest win. But let's be honest, Portland Trail Blazers fans are just excited to see him back on the court in the jersey he belongs in; this 3-Point Contest update is simply icing on the cake.
If this latest shooting display proves anything, it's that Lillard still has plenty of value he can provide an up-and-coming Blazers squad. At the very least, we know he can still shoot.
