In the third quarter of last night’s matchup between the Portland Trail Blazers and the Golden State Warriors, things got chippy when centers Andrew Bogut and Joel Freeland became tangled. The sequence breaks down as follows:
- Wesley Matthews hit a jumper while Freeland and Bogut fought for rebounding position (1:09). While we can play the innocence card all we want, it was pretty clear that Freeland was holding Bogut’s right arm from behind.
- Bogut took exception and escalated the situation from skirmish to scuffle with an elbow aimed at Freeland (1:11). It could have ended there with a double-technical, but the Trail Blazers came to Freeland’s aid.
- Nicolas Batum, David Lee, and Mo Williams were the first to break things up (1:14), but Andrew Bogut wasn’t about to take orders from the 6’0” Williams, who he shoved upon intervention (1:15).
- Now, I shouldn’t be as proud of him as I am, but Williams snuck in two shots on the 7’0” Ausie in response. The first was a straight left, knocking Bogut’s head back (1:16), and the second was a swipe at Bogut’s temple (1:19).
- As much as I like to see a Terrier bare its teeth to a Mastiff, I don’t think it would have turned out well for Mo. As the melee escalated, LaMarcus Aldridge came in swinging and ready to go pound-for-pound to defend his teammate (1:22).
Here’s where things get messy.
- Wesley Matthews arrived to pull LaMarcus Aldridge away from Andrew Bogut (1:24) and the temporarily unencumbered Williams found himself over by the Warriors bench.
- Injured center Jermaine O’Neal came onto the floor and grabbed Mo Williams by the throat (1:32), which lit a fire under Wesley Matthews. Matthews left Aldridge to intervene more aggressively (1:40), receiving his 2nd technical of the game, which resulted in an automatic ejection.
- Warriors forward Draymond Green was ejected as well, for getting involved in the ensuing in the fray (1:44). Mo Williams joined them as the third ejectee for his initial punches thrown at Andrew Bogut.
Joel Freeland technical
Andrew Bogut technical
Mo Williams technical
Mo Williams ejection
Wesley Matthews technical
Wesley Matthews ejection
LaMarcus Aldridge technical
Draymond Green technical
Draymond Green ejection
The league has not yet issued any fines or suspensions. If they do, the most likely candidates to receive them will be Andrew Bogut and Mo Williams, although it seems unlikely at this point. The Trail Blazers take on the New York Knicks in the Moda Center on Monday, hopefully with all of their involved players active for the game.
And remember, for the best deals on Portland Trail Blazers tickets, visit our friends at TiqIQ.com.