The bracket has been set for the first ever Las Vegas Summer League tournament. Of the 22 teams competing, the Blazers received the 19th seed (unsurprising after going 0-3 in preliminaries). The game will take place a 5:30pm PST.
Players to watch:
- CJ McCollum is coming off of a 27 point effort against the Chicago Bulls. He has averaged 21.3 points per game in Summer League thus far, and has emerged as Portland’s go-to scorer.
- Thomas Robinson had his best game of Las Vegas Summer League last night, putting up a 12 point/18 rebound double-double. He will be a force to reckon with on the boards.
- John Jenkins came off the bench for the Hawks last year, but has been lighting it up in Summer League. We can expect to see 15-20 points from him- more if the Blazers do not step up their defense.
- Mike Scott arrived in Atlanta last season in the Josh Childress trade with Phoenix. He’s not exactly a big name, but his 27 point performance on Monday counts just the same as McCollum’s.
- Schroder and Nogueira are Atlanta’s notable rookies, and while they have yet to contribute standout numbers, anything could happen with them.
This is the Summer League equivalent of the playoffs. Every game matters now (as much as it can for Summer League). It’s time to see what Portland can do under pressure.